Sometimes it happens: sometimes even I write about the meaning of life. This is the case again: you are going to sink your teeth into a bunch of meaningful thoughts. Oh, yes I can make them, indeed! 🙂
Recently, I made a great discovery: it’s about the 90/10 principle or, as I named it, the “Who Cares” principle.
The gist is that: we actually cannot control (at least) the 10% of our life: a hailstorm ruined your car, a <add here what YOU cannot control> happened in your life, or even just the fact that your train is late. Here comes the novelty. We can control the other 90%; we can control what we think, and that is powerful, even more than that <insert here your favorite bad word> setback. Letting those things get to us is what tears us down.
Yes, we can be rebellious to that 10%. I discovered it thanks to Stephen Covey’s book “The 90/10 Principle.” Applying the principle takes a lot of training, it’s not easy to change your mindset – trust me, I know. Two ingredients make your life: what happens to you, and how you react to what happens to you.
James Dyson is a good example of this positive attitude. He failed 5,127 prototypes and after five years of attempts, he came out with the first vacuum cleaner ever. At that point, he built the prototype with his money, but unfortunately, all the companies he contacted rejected the idea of producing it.
Eventually, he sold it to a Japanese firm and in two years his device become the most popular appliance in Britain.
I have another pearl of wisdom for you (for free!): when you feel sorry, think you cannot be more embarrassed than the agent who refused to publish the first Harry Potter book. Then life will be happier. Enjoy!